Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 1 - My First Attempt at Time Travel

For the last two days, I have had my watch set to Japanese time, and at the time of this writing it is 9pm in Japan. My plan to sleep on the flight out of Newark (and I found out yesterday that it was out of Newark is likewise on track.

You might be curious why I'm writing this at 8am New York time. Well, by the time I touch down in Japan it will be tomorrow--both here and there--and so it really would be a separate entry for tomorrow. So right now I'm sitting by a window looking out over the runway writing this post. I got through security without so much as a stern talking to, which was a relief, and just like that I am one step closer to Japan. I have a short flight on a tiny plane then a long flight on a big one.

Me sitting by a window looking out over the runway writing this post


It's harrowing, really. I'm excited but at the same time I feel this pressure in my throat whenever I think about the fact that I will be halfway across the world for the first time in my life. What a grand adventure it promises to be, but I am intimidated. A number of my loved ones are concerned about my traveling alone, and now that  my departure looms I'm facing all their arguments again with trepidation.

Concerning time travel, in 15 hours I will arrive more than 24 hours in the future. Assuming my anti-jet-lag plan works--and believe me I almost fell asleep a number of times trying to watch 12 hours of comedy television--I will unfortunately miss some of the most interesting sights on my trip. I almost regret my plan now, seeing as I will probably be exhausted as soon as this energy drinks wears off, and will miss flying over whatever foreign lands I will bypass to get to my destination.

Two more points before I finish: to the right of this post you will find a window where you can subscribe by email to my blog, as I will not always be able to send out a notice by individual email, so it may be beneficial to you to subscribe. Also, if I have been spamming your inbox and you find it obnoxious, just say so and I will remove you from my list.

Second, despite my repeated attempts to downsize my luggage at the expense of my Japanese-English dictionary, it seems to have repeatedly found its way into my bags. Thank you. I will probably be glad I have it.

When next you hear from me it will be from the future,

Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment