Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 2? - Planes, Trains, and Placename Kanji

My 13 hour flight had probably the best food ever. And it had a lot of it. But when you keep people locked in a metal tube for half of a day that's kind of a requirement. They had something called "air gourmet" or something like that as the company that did the meals. Also, it had those little televisions in the backs of the headrests, with almost 200 movies. So, I didn't sleep as much as I planned. Never fear, though, I beat jet lag another way: by just exhausting myself so much that I can sleep on Japan time now.

When the average person thinks about Japan, they likely either think of an ancient society steeped in tradition with swords and armor and fancy parabolic tiled roofs. Alternatively, some think of Japan and see a hyper-modern world of fancy technology and shining skyscrapers. As an Asian Studies scholar, I shouldn't hold these simplified notions of what Japan is any more than anyone else, but for some reason when I broke cloud cover in Tokyo I was surprised that looking down, the landscape  looked identical to landscapes I have seen when flying on other occasions. It could have just as easily been Florida I was looking down on. The truth I realized in that moment was that Japan may be different and a lot of fun for someone like me who has dreamed of this trip since junior high, but that this is a place not unlike home in many respects.


It was kind of like this



And as soon as I came through the clouds all the nervousness was gone and I was only excited. I have been waiting to make this trip for half of my life it seems and now I am finally here, in Japan. I'm giving my 12 year old self a pat on the back as we speak.

The first thing I noticed in Narita airport was how helpful everyone was. Even the security guards, who pulled me for a random security check while I was wandering around in the small shopping area downstairs, was very polite and nice, which is the opposite of how I would expect one of our friends in TSA to act back home. Also, the second I looked lost or confused a nearby worker would come over and help me. Their customer service is much more proactive than ours.

Yes, I occasionally looked lost and confused. This was because, despite three years of studying Japanese, I am no match for most of the characters that make up placenames. This wasn't so much a problem in Narita Airport, which is made with travelers in mind and most everything is also written in roman letters. However, once I reached Osaka (at the end of the trip that the nice travel agent lady in Tokyo had outlined for me), I needed to navigate the train system myself to find my accommodations. There were no doubled romanized names, just a massive schedule I couldn't read. I eventually found what I could recognize (and asked at three different counters for directions to the platform), and realized that the station I wanted was just one station away, but I couldn't figure out the direction. So, I did what anyone with unlimited train rides would do: I guessed. I guessed right, too, and so I avoided heading away from my goal any further. It then took me another hour and a half of wandering to find the place, which was at that point closed for the night.

Again I was saved by unexpected kindness. The owner lives on the 6th floor of the apartment building that has been converted into dormitories for foreigners leaned out the window and told me that he would be right down. Despite my attempts to apologize for being so late (it was almost 9pm) he waved me off and gave me the tour.

On to my living quarters we went. Here's the scoop. The room is small and windowless and the entire building looks like it could use a renovation. It seems very clear that this couple are in the process of converting the place to more appealing rooms, but none of that bothers me.

Here's the important points about where I'm staying. The bed is comfortable, the landlord is nice (Koza-san even has me call him and his wife by their first names). The building is secured multiple ways, and I have a private room for my belongings for only about $20 a night. You can't beat that price, and I don't plan on spending a great deal of time in my room anyway.

Now I'm so tired from lugging around my backpack that I am probably going to pass out as soon as I lay down, which is good, considering it's about the time I would want to sleep anyway. I worry more about my return, as a friend of mine who traveled to Japan informed me shortly before I left that jet lag didn't bother him at all when he went over, just when he came back.

Once again signing off,

Cory

P.S. I have included a slideshow that I will update with all the pictures I take. It's down below.
P.P.S. The slideshow didn't work. Go here instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment